5 Days of century rides based out of Bend, Oregon
Wednesday, June 4th to Sunday, June 8th 2014
Registration Form Here
Fundraiser benefitting Mt. Bachelor Sports Education Foundation cycling programs.
The Central Oregon 500+ is a week long riding adventure, based out of Bend, OR featuring 5 of the best rides in the area. The routes support distances of 100K or 100 miles daily. The rides mix in 2 days of flatter sections with 3 days of bigger climbs. There will be local ride guides for the lead, middle and back of the pack daily with food, water, mechanical and sag support. Some route changes may be necessary due to seasonal snow conditions or road closures.
Registration: Ride all 5 days or as many days as you would like.
- Daily Start and Finish: 8:00am starts from a local East Bend residence with parking, restrooms, water, bike repair area, lawn seating and picnic tables.
- Guides: Rides will have designated ride guides. 1 climbing guide, 1 mid pack guide, and 1 back pack guide.
- Pace: It’s not a race. Ride groups will develop each day with guides helping all along.
- Support: Each ride will have support vehicles covering feed and lunch stations with sag, mechanical support bringing up the back.
- Weather: Can be cold in the mornings. Recommend shoe covers, gloves, skull caps, and layers. Extra gear can be dumped in the support vehicles.
- Food and Water: Food, water, sports drinks etc., will be provided along each ride along with a short lunch stop and re-fuel food at the finish.
- Riding: Rules of the road will apply to all routes. No road closures. Pace lines no more than 2 wide. Road courtesy will be practiced.
- Safety: Light aid provided by sag with any injured riders being tended to by local 911 agencies.
- Liability Waiver: All participants will have a signed dated liability waiver releasing Mt. Bachelor Sports Education Foundation and all guides and volunteers from any and all damages including death that any participant may incur.
- Sunday BBQ: Sunday after the ride will be a BBQ and awards ceremony for the week’s efforts.
- Fundraising: All ride guides are volunteers. 100% of the proceeds from the event will go towards Mt. Bachelor Sports Education Foundation cycling program scholarships and equipment.
All rides start and finish at a residence in East Bend @ 3695’ El. Route Maps http://ridewithgps.com/events/Central-Oregon-500
After a short tour of Bend, the ride heads up Century Dr. towards Mt Bachelor. We turn south and enjoy a long butter pavement decent down the Sunriver road before heading west to circle clockwise around the Mtn. 100K riders finish at Elk Lake Resort. (They will be given a ride back to town). After the lunch stop at Elk Lake Resort we finish off the climb with the Sparks Lake Grade and a 25 mile cruise back to our start. Full distance 100 miles X 5000’ climbing.
This is a great tour of the High Desert east of Bend. The route goes through the Crooked River canyon, Prineville, and back through cattle country to Bend. 100K riders end at lunch in Prineville. (They will be given a ride back to town). Full distance 100 miles x 3500’ climbing.
Climbing out and back. Today’s route heads back up Century drive towards the Mtn., back down the Sunriver Rd then south and up to Newberry Crater. The climb tops out at 6000’ and we tour the Newberry crater on the way to lunch at East Lake, the end of the 100K ride. (They will be given a ride back to town). On the return we will climb back up the Sunriver Rd to Century drive and back to home base. Distance 121 miles, 6000’ climbing.
We head back to the alfalfa fields and cattle country for the Smith Rock - Sisters route. After we leave Prineville we roll out the O’Neil Highway to the lunch stop at Smith Rock State Park, the end of the 100K ride. (They will be given a ride back to town). From Smith Rock we head west through rolling country to Sisters. We will grab a quick coffee here to get us though the next 35 miles back home with the route highlighting some great local favorite riding roads. Distance 115 miles, 3500’ climbing.
Mackenzie Pass is the destination for the final ride of the week. We will work our way back to Sisters then out Hwy 246 towards Mackenzie Pass. The road is gated this time of year and the final 15 miles to the summit are car free. Be ready for the refrigerator affect when we reach the upper section with the road freshly cut through the snow banks. After a quick stop here we turn back to Sisters for lunch and the end of the 100K ride. (They will be given a ride back to town). After lunch a fast pace line towards Redmond will head us towards Bend, home base, beers and a finish BBQ. Distance 100 miles X 5000’ climbing.
- Day 5 option Mack Pass Super Sized
Add Santiam pass and a low point of 1000’ on the west side at Belknap Hot springs before climbing back up and over Mackenzie pass finishing on the same route back from Sisters. Distance 153 miles X 6000’ climbing. This option will require a 5am start and will be dependant on the pass being open. Parts of this stage will be unsupported.
Registration: $325 for 5 days or $70 per day
5 day registration includes:
- 5 days 5 rides
- Daily ride support
- Frequent Rest Stops with gourmet snacks and lunch
- Post ride re-fuel-sample of Bend Microbrews each day
- Overnight bike storage at start/finish
- Final day BBQ, awards, SWAG
Registration is by first come first serve mail in registration to MBSEF. Registration must come with payment. Successful applicants will be confirmed by email.
Please make checks to MBSEF and mail to:
563 SW 13th St., Ste. 201
Bend, OR 97702
Questions or need more info? Email Tom at firstname.lastname@example.org